Order information for your Shopping Cart

PARKING PARTNERS

What did you think of AN ILIAD?

Did you enjoy An Iliad? Did Denis O’Hare’s performance move you? Has anything really changed since the Trojan War? We’d love to hear your feedback on this production and anything related  to the topic by leaving a comment on this entry.

12 Comments

1. Denis O’Hare is one of my favorite actors. I thought both the play and his performance were outstanding; a true anti-war statement and very timely. Unfortunately, things have not changed and no matter how many times war occurs, humans – men mostly – seem unable to grasp the uselessness of it. Tragic indeed on all counts and a compelling night of theatre. I look forward to the new play, The Good Book, Denis is currently working on with Lisa Peterson.

2. Micaela WilsonApril 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm

This was an outstanding night of theatre. It was hard to imagine one man capturing all the gods, warriors and their women that populate this epic, but Denis O’Hare’s interpretation was masterful! As was the set and original music that accompanied the brilliant telling of this tale. Do not miss it!!

3. This one one of the best theatrical events I’ve been to. Powerful. Poignant. We were very impressed by the adaption by Denis O’Hare and Lisa Peterson. And O’Hare was incredible. We also very much liked the lighting, music and staging.

4. The play and its actor, Dennis O’Hare, were extraordinary.

The bare stage was effective in riveting all our attention on the words and sounds.

5. Mary SchipaApril 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm

O’Hare is mesmerizing – his is a unique quality, that of the story-teller who won’t let you breathe is he so chooses. He totally controls his audience, and the tale(s) he tells grows in interest, even when he seems to dismiss its importance here and there. And it’s a lovely touch to have a bass player who is able to turn into an entire orchestra!

6. Ruth SoybelMay 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Riveting! One of the best theatre experiences of the year. The story remains haunting, the storyteller, as of old, hypnotic.

7. Ken StuckeyMay 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I really regret that the run of the show ends tonight. I saw it twice in the past week and just don’t have time to see it a third time. I was unprepared for just how good this — *he* — turned out to be.

8. Barbara MintzMay 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm

A superb performance and production. I couldn’t imagine how one actor could deliver the Iliad at all, much less with such power and humor; now I see. The script, too, is a wonderful weaving together of the ancient tale and references that a modern audience both may need and also can certainly appreciate for their relevance today.

9. W Joseph CoteMay 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Mr O’Hare’s amazing performance exhibited the greatest possible control of an actor over space, energy, material and emotional range. It was THE most incredible single performance by an actor I have ever experienced in my 50 years as an avid theatre audience member on all continents. Absolutely mesmerizing!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Denis!!!

10. Chuck AbdellaMay 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I’ve never seen such an innovative show. O’Hare does an extraordinary job in making Homer’s story into a contemporary meditation on the fruitlessness and yet seeming inevitability of war. With a bare stage and almost no props, he transforms himself into a 21st bard, alternating between Fagle’s translation of ancient words and his own colloquial interpretation of today’s vernacular. A brilliant fusion and a first-rate show!

11. First of all, I give kudos to Dennis O’Hare and Lisa Peterson for their “foundational studies”. Next, I thank them for their present-context details so that we may get the point of the spear. Also, it has been far too long since I heard ancient Greek, its gut-wrenching onomatopoeic emotion: both the scripting and the acting gave full play to that for which I am so grateful. The scriptwriter and the actor meant the Storyteller ( as the Greeks did the Chorus) to comment on the folly of the gods and the humans; Dennis O’Hare’s masterful, powerful storytelling did just that. THANKYOU.

12. A piece of theatrical genius — O’Hare is brilliant, as is the bass player, and the music is so integral a part of the performance you forget there are two people on stage.

Your email address will not be published.